What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?

No matter it is Hong Kong, China or Taiwan, Chinese people seems to have very weird English names.

Mainland Chinese, in particular, have very weird English names. Sometimes, a lot of people think that they get an English name just the the sake of having it, or perhaps the country is being invaded by western culture because of its booming economy and the increasing foreigner influx.

Here, I want to share with you some very ridiculous English names of Chinese people from Hong Kong, China and Taiwan.

My all-time favorite is Vitamin Chen. He’s a very charming dude. He must be a healthy freak (i.e. Vitamin C) as well.

Here’s my friends’ experience:

Dawei: I knew two twin sisters in Hong Kong called Kinetic and Energy.

Butler: I interviewed a girl in Shanghai recently and her name was Station.

Stephen: “I met a Water Chan before.”

Vivien: Not just Mainland Chinese. There are Wasabi, Nitrogen, Apple, Ginger, Salad… I met them in Hong Kong!

Fili: There was a Taiwanese girl I met once with a last name Kao (“高” in Taiwanese Pinyin, it means “Tall”) who chose the English name Kinky. Kinky Kao, perfect.

Stephane: Hong Kong people have first name such as Porky or Leslie. I also know a Nori Chan, probably makes all the Japanese girls laugh when he says his name.

Tyler: Best one I have ever heard was a Singapore girl by the name of Cream Soon.

Florence: I have a student in my class wanting to make his name Chris, but as there are 2 other Chris’ in that class, we decided to call him Christmas instead!

VK: Silence works at the Subway in downtown.

Munjee: I know a guy named Dicky Hung. I’m gonna use his name when I meet people in a bar.

What are the weird English names of Chinese people you’ve seen?

64 Comments on What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?

1. Sally
    October 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm (3 years ago)

My favourite is Failure…

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:31 am (3 years ago)

Haha. So if people would ask, ‘How’s the project going, Failure?”

2. Wai Shing Lee
    October 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm (3 years ago)

All real and non-phonetic names from my phonebook.

- Algo
    - Sunny
    - Swindy
    - Yamy
    - Yuki
    - Zenith

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:32 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Wai Shing. I like Joke the most. :)

3. Jeppe
    October 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm (3 years ago)

Hill
    Sugar
    Kaling
    Luna

• Ana
      October 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm (3 years ago)

Strawberry
      Cocoa
      Godjer

• Jin
        October 30, 2011 at 2:33 am (3 years ago)

Haha. These are good ones.

4. Rebecca-Icy Chu
    October 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm (3 years ago)

i have some friends called
    chili
    data
    happy
    joker
    xabi
    daro

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:33 am (3 years ago)

Happy Data Joker. ;)

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 9:42 am (3 years ago)

“Hi, what’s your name?” “Morning.”

LOL… thanks for sharing Ryan :)

5. MKL
    October 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm (3 years ago)

I know a guy in Taiwan named “Helicopter Chung”, Can you beat this?

In addition, saw these first names: Rainman, Good, Cloud, Bird, Command, Tough, Mask, Honda.

Not sure, what caused these people to accept such names, but I think they will hardly be big business men in Europe. If I imagine someone calling and saying: “Hello, my name is Helicopter Chung..” I would be like: Excuse me? :P

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:36 am (3 years ago)

LOL. I couldn’t keep laughing when I saw “Helicopter Chung”. It’s a 4-syllable first name!

6. DS
    October 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm (3 years ago)

Not just China. In Korea I found the weirdest names. Had a student called Mikhail Gorbachev. No joke.

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:39 am (3 years ago)

Wow…maybe your student is a remote family member of the former leader?

7. Kelly
    October 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm (3 years ago)

Refrigerator – actually was given that name by a fellow teacher because he had the ability to use the word in any sentence he spoke…correctly.
    Semen – I believe it started out as “Simon” but was mispronounced so often that eventually the spelling changed too.
    And my recent favourite – H. That’s it, just H. He’s like 7 and he’s already too cool for a full name!

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:41 am (3 years ago)

They are funny ones. Does it happen in China or other cities in Asia? I think that a lot of people just use names that they think look cool but not really care about the meaning.

8. Munjal
    October 29, 2011 at 9:43 am (3 years ago)

Met a Yoyo Yin last night.

• Jin
      October 30, 2011 at 2:43 am (3 years ago)

I played yoyo all the time when I was small. ;)

9. J. Alexandre Gruss (@AJ_Gruss)
    October 31, 2011 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

HJ,
    Rain,
    Snow,
    Action (a sales guy),
    Eureka,
    Eubisia (no idea how she googled that)
    Tank, (i kid you not and he was rather skinny)

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 10:29 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, AJ! I like Action, must be an aggressive sales ;)

10. name
    October 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm (3 years ago)

I had students named :

Spicegas , Hometown, Hitler.

The best was a pair of girls who always sat beside eachother, one was named Pussy the other one was named Monster. They always talked so I often had to say “Pussy Monster!” to make them stop.

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm (3 years ago)

Hahahahahahahahahaha, I almost spilled out my coffee. Thanks for sharing! :D

11. Paul
    October 31, 2011 at 1:36 pm (3 years ago)

Sunshine (a guy)
    Handsome
    Fabio

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm (3 years ago)

Oh… he would say, “Hi, I’m Handsome”.

12. nxtdemo
    October 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm (3 years ago)

I have these from my LinkedIn connections (all real people):

* Friendly
    * Johnothan
    * Koboer
    * Viral
    * Wellwin

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm (3 years ago)

OMG. Viral? Hahahahahaha.

13. alygerharter
    October 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm (3 years ago)

i know someone named cherry chen. she recently made a facebook, and when she realized how many cherry chens are on the internet, her reaction was “maybe i should have chosen another name….”

• Jin
      October 31, 2011 at 5:56 pm (3 years ago)

I know a girl named Cherry too, pretty common ;)

14. Stone
    October 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm (3 years ago)

I used Stone as my English name, simply because, in my Chinese name, there is a character which means “stone”. I know Stone is often used as last name, do u guys think it’s weird for first name though?

• Chinese Love
      November 2, 2011 at 8:53 am (3 years ago)

My Chinese co-worker was also named Stone. It’s a unique name…it’s not too weird.

Some of my other co-workers in Shenzhen had names like “Gloomy,” “Fantasy,” and “Lust” – now those were weird. I would say those are more like names for the Seven Dwarfs.

The weirdest China English name I ever encountered was “Icmi”.

Yes, you read that right.

Having said that, my first try at coming up with a Chinese name for myself backfired. I thought it was a cool name, but it was really weird in Chinese. I shared the whole story here…http://www.my-new-chinese-love.com/chinese-name.html

So “Stone” is actually a reasonable name, all things considered. :)

• Jin
      November 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm (3 years ago)

If your Chinese name contains a character that means “stone”, then naming yourself as “Stone” in English is fine, at least the reason is quite fair. :)

• Peter
        November 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm (3 years ago)

My English name is Peter, which means ‘a large stone’… so my Chinese name is 大石头 (Big Stone)… and subsequently, also the name of my company (Big Stone Group) and charity foundation (Big Stone Foundation).

• Jin
          November 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm (3 years ago)

Peter means ‘a large stone’? I didn’t know…! But yeah, that’s really cool, you got the whole group named Big Stone ;)

• Bone
      September 15, 2013 at 9:33 am (10 months ago)

15. Capn
    November 11, 2011 at 9:24 am (3 years ago)

I know a girl who couldn’t choose between Daisy and Mary, so she called herself Dairy.

• Jin
      November 11, 2011 at 9:52 am (3 years ago)

Ahahahahahahashahaha. Thanks for sharing Capn.

16. Peter
    November 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm (3 years ago)

I had a student
    first name: Bill-Gates-Rockafeller
    surname: Wang
    —–
    A female student named ‘Hills’
    —–
    And the strangest I’ve had: a boy named ‘Earwig’

17. mich
    November 12, 2011 at 9:42 am (3 years ago)

From Taiwan:
    MacGyver Hsu
    Fish Liao
    Teacher Chair (the art teacher at our school)
    Manpower Li
    Chemical Wu
    Handsome Li

Student names:
    Oreo
    Chubby
    Vinky
    Kerwin (apparently this sounds like the chinese name for Optimus Prime)

• Jin
      November 12, 2011 at 9:51 am (3 years ago)

I like Manpower and Chemical!

18. J
    November 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm (3 years ago)

Toto To
    Money (really tempted to ask if they were related to Lil Wayne’s young money record label)
    Promise (see this person better think twice when they promise people things)

Wealthee

King

-just a few, enjoy

• Jin
      November 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing J.

You know what, “Toto To” sounds like you/re spitting. :P

19. Chen Yi
    March 3, 2012 at 11:54 am (2 years ago)

Some of them are Chinese names translated to English literally =_=
    My name is Chen Yi, in English it means “(Bird) Wings Chen”. It doesn’t make sense XD

• Jin
      March 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm (2 years ago)

Yeah. Direct translation often just doesn’t make sense. That’s a cool name, though! :)

20. Henry
    March 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm (1 year ago)

I met two people called Echo and someone called Quincy
    Also the following first names… (names of top schools in the US) lol

Stanford
    Yale
    Wharton

I think there also someone called Moony lol

• Jin
      March 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for sharing Henry. Good incentives for them to get into good universities and a good laugh for their friends.

21. Cassie
    April 4, 2013 at 5:03 am (1 year ago)

These are hilarious! Names like these were the inspiration for our website, http://www.namewalla.com. Jin, you and the other posters can submit these crazy names for our Rogues Gallery. All you teachers can send your students to the site so they can learn how to choose a name that won’t make people laugh, or at least learn the dangers of being too “creative.” Best regards!

• Jin Wong
      April 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for your comment, Cassie. Lovely website of yours! The people who read my blog is my readers, not students, but I suppose everyone learns, so yes we’re all students. I hope my readers would find your website useful.

22. roffles
    April 5, 2013 at 5:27 am (1 year ago)

Highway He is one of the odder I’ve seen.

But the best and most appropriate: Ms Summer Sun, a real estate agent. Perfectly chosen.

• Jin Wong
      April 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for sharing, Roffles! I love the name Summer Sun, it’s very positive and it makes me smile. :)

23. fairytale
    April 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm (1 year ago)

its funny but for some reason it works!!! Maybe some parents didn’t kno :)

24. Jessica
    April 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm (1 year ago)

That’s hilarious!
    haven’t heard those name around me
    but i did see a girl mentioned she was a virg1n(virgo) in her info box
    kind of speechless

25. Carol
    May 11, 2013 at 7:57 pm (1 year ago)

My relative is called New Year (欣年). No joke, that is actually his name…

• Jin Wong
      May 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm (1 year ago)

That’s a very nice name indeed.

26. F
    June 2, 2013 at 7:15 am (1 year ago)

i met a girl called Protein. :-p

27. JC
    June 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm (1 year ago)

Excellent!!!
    Some Chinese people told me that, very often, it’s the teacher who give the English name to student first… But maybe some decide to change then and use it as “funny nickname”.
    Here are the best I heard by my side: “Horse” and “hotdog” for man / “Bunny” and “leaving” for girl!!

28. Andy
    August 25, 2013 at 9:00 am (11 months ago)

I’m from Hong Kong and even some of this is new to me but as far as ego goes lets start with Dragon, Sermon and Distinction.

29. Q
    January 15, 2014 at 1:23 am (6 months ago)

I have so many names to share, collected by my family/friends for 20+ years from a dozen cities in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. Some are also more recent, as some of us chat with a lot of Chinese people online.)

Bowl
    Chandelier (Her surname is 鄧. Same pronunciation as the word 燈 meaning lamp.)
    Elk
    Gorgeous
    Fatty (His Chinese name had the character 發, written as Fat in romanization.)
    Poem
    Skink
    Hugs
    Powder
    Broccoli
    Quarrel (A man who likes crossbows)
    Pretty
    Gumball
    Algorithm (At least people call him Al.)
    Joystick
    Cardboard
    Piggy (Her Chinese Zodiac)
    Gregpaul
    Sarah (A man)
    Tattoo
    Joke
    Speedy
    Igloo
    Uke
    Handsome
    Wave
    Aim
    Motor
    Giggle
    Train
    Zipper
    Longan (My uncle thought it was supposed to be Logan but misspelled, but it’s actually the fruit.)
    Insect
    Leviathan
    Prize
    Sphinx
    Youtube
    Robe
    Green

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?

1. [...] Meanwhile, if you’re interested in seeing how Chinese people use the English language for their name, you can read my article about What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?. [...]

2. [...] “How I picture some HKers trying to decide on an English name” (because you won’t only meet ‘Michelle’s and ‘John’s around here…) [...]

3. […] not just the celebrities making up names. You can see some more interesting names in this blog post by HK Girl Talk. The people of Hong Kong are not crazy though! There are reasons that they give […]

4. […] Meanwhile, if you’re interested in seeing how Chinese people use the English language for their name, you can read my article about What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?. […]

5. […] Meanwhile, if you’re interested in seeing how Chinese people use the English language for their name, you can read my article about What Are the Weird English Names of Chinese People?. […]